Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Reflection: Jenn





































It has nearly been a week since I was in the Panama airport dreading my trip back home. I love college, learning new things, and my friends just as much as the next college student, but there's always something that is so much better about doing volunteer work for Operation Smile. We always joke about doing work for OpSmile as being "fake life" but in reality, it's just so much better than the "real life". Being around inspirational people all the time, helping an amazing cause, and actually being able to make a difference...yeah, that doesn't sound real does it? Sure, helping and volunteering back home is great, but there's always something better about being able to see your impact firsthand.


When I was informed in January that I would be going to Panama City, Panama with James, Megan, and Dani, I was ecstatic. I have been involved with Operation Smile for almost five years now and have known James, Megan, and Dani almost as long. I knew that we would be able to put on a successful conference using the strengths and abilities each of us had and that was demonstrated right away. As soon as we were told about Panama, we began work. We completed a complete outline of our conference, held an hour long conference call with the executive director of Operation Smile Panama, and set up weekly deadlines. The task ahead seemed super daunting, but I had faith that we were fully capable. Having helped plan an International Student Leadership Conference and a Mission Training Workshop while on the Executive Leadership Council, I knew that planning any conference for Operation Smile required a lot of work. However, we had previously had the help of the amazing Student Programs and I was a little terrified at the idea of planning a conference entirely alone. And when I say alone, I mean it. We were given a budget, told not to go over it, and then...everything was up to us. Like...um...what?!?! While it was a daunting task, we were definitely up to the challenge.


Nine weeks, 12 conference calls, countless emails, and many sleepless nights later, I was sitting on the plane next to James trying to get it into my head that I was actually going to Panama. The rest of my friends were either going home or going to Mexico for Spring Break and I was about to embark on a life changing trip. It wasn't until I got off the plane in Panama City and saw the signs in Spanish that I realized it was actually happening. I immediately felt nervous, happy, and excited all at the same time. I stopped thinking about my midterm grades and the immense amount of homework I had due the day I got back and started thinking of all the things we STILL had to do.


As we exited customs in the airport (yeah, we had problems...probably should have thought ahead), we were greeted by Ana, Maria, and Roberto. These three Panamanian students are some of the most inspirational people I have ever met. They tirelessly worked side by side with us to ensure that the U-Lead conference went successfully. Without them, the conference would have been impossible to put on. Not to mention they helped us out whenever there was a language barrier (probably should have worked on ordering food in Spanish before we went...oops.) In addition, we met Gabby. This student sponsor is one of the most vivacious and dedicated women I have ever met. Whenever she wasn't helping us at the conference, she was selling Operation Smile cups and balls for cincuenta centavos (50 cents :)) I can honestly say that these four people are some of the most welcoming, hilarious, inspirational, and dedicated people I have ever met.


The conference itself was full of inspirational speakers, but most of the talking was done by us. We talked about the importance of being involved with Operation Smile and how to further get involved. We shared our own personal mission stories and played many emotional videos. We also taught two health modules that are taught at Mission Training Workshop--dental hygiene and nutrition. In fact, James and I often reveled at how the U-Lead conference was turning into a mini Mission Training Workshop. In fact, similar to Mission Training, the students at U-Lead were required to make their own versions of the dental hygiene and nutrition health modules. We required this not only to help the students grasp a better understanding of the information, but also because on the last day we had a service project arranged involving the health modules. The service project had the students go out into the hospital and present the modules to the children and their parents. I had many apprehensions about the service project. I wasn't sure if there would be enough children to present to, if we would run into problems with the hospital staff, if parents would reject our students' offers to educate, or if our students would take their tasks seriously. Luckily, the service project went perfectly. In fact, the service project was probably my favorite activity of the entire conference. As I watched my group (PURPLE TEAMMM!) disperse throughout the waiting room, I felt instantly relieved. The students on my team weren't nervous at all and went straight to the first children they saw. I started to tear up as I saw the faces of the kids they were presenting to. They were eager to practice brushing their teeth and stopped everything they were doing to listen. My students gained confidence after every presentation, asking me if they could do more, if they could go to different waiting rooms, if they could present to just adults because there weren't enough children. I was instantly reminded of myself on my mission, 16, eager, and trying to make a difference. Seeing them present brought me back to that little town in Ethiopia and all of the children that I was able to help. The reason I am so infatuated with Operation Smile is because it not only allows volunteers to help change lives, but it also dramatically changes the volunteer's life. I can honestly say that without Operation Smile, I would be an entirely different person than I am today.


As I said above, I have known Megan, James, and Dani for practically forever. Megan is actually the reason I first became involved in Operation Smile. I first became friends with Megan through swimming and was able to see her leadership skills in both the swim team and Operation Smile. Her passion and drive motivated me to come to meetings; I admired her dedication to the cause. That very same passion and dedication still exists today. James Reid. James is one of my closest friends and I was really excited to be able to go to Panama with him. He was the president of our high school club the year before me and I have always strived to be as good of a leader as him. He is certainly one of the most inspirational people I know and has definitely changed my life. Can't really imagine life without that lanky sunburned boy (: While not as close to Dani because she went to a rival high school (booo Bosque...jk ;)) I have always admired Dani's dedication to Operation Smile. Dani is one of the hardest workers I know and I feel blessed to have gotten to get to know her better in Panama. Last but not least, Carlos Veron. As our student sponsor, it was his job to help us with anything and everything we needed. Carlos went above and beyond his job. Carlos' amazing personality completed our student team. He helped make participants more comfortable, translated whenever needed, did an AMAZING presentation on leadership, and dealt with our shenanigans (we are kinda crazy). I love Carlitos! I am so glad that he now works for Operation Smile and know that he will do an amazing job in his position.


So, for all of you reading that have asked me in the past week, "Jenn, HOW WAS PANAMA?!" I hope this answers your question. Volunteering with Operation Smile cannot be summed up shortly. My week in Panama was full of emotion and experiences that I will never forget. I feel truly honored that I was given the opportunity to launch the pilot U-Lead program in Panama. I know that our conference has helped to give student volunteers in Panama a new perspective on volunteering with Operation Smile, and I hope that it has helped to change their lives. I know that it has changed mine.


--Jenn

2 comments:

  1. Dang Jenn, i officially have the most inspirational sister on earth.

    love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just cried dang it.

    i love this, and so true. you just can't sum it up in a few words.. you just have to experience to really know.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete