Monday, May 30, 2011

U-Lead #2: Ana Isabel Correa










When I received the news that I was going to pilot a U-LEAD conference, I was more surprised than when I received the notice I was elected as a Panamanian leader. When I attended the first U-LEAD conference in Panama, which was given by James Reid, Jennifer Mings, Megan Lloyd and Danielle Rivera, I was just helping them. I wasn't even a team leader, but in this case, I was going to give the conference, to talk about everything they talked, and to LEAD. I was nervous of the fact that I was going to talk in front of 50 people, but thanks to James, Jenn, Megan and Dani, we gave an amazing conference because we learned a lot from them and they were very influential for us. I have to say that they showed us the real meaning of leadership!

Definitely, the First U-LEAD had a positive impact in my life, and that's why I wanted to make an impact in other volunteers life. So the planning began 1 month before in order to have everything ready for the conference that would be held in May. Gaby helped us a lot. She did an amazing schedule to cover all the 3-day-material in ONE DAY. We talked about Dental Hygiene, Nutrition, fundraising activities, the 4 pillars (education, service, leadership and awareness) and Oscentral . Of course, the best part of the conference was the Ice Breakers. EVERYBODY loved it!! They told us that the ice breakers helped them to create a comfortable mood and they were in the right moment, I really had a lot of fun while I was in the conference. I’m pretty sure that most of all the students that attended this conference learned a lot.

After the conference, I read every single paper in which the students wrote their opinions. Fortunately, no one had any complain. The students loved the group colors division, the "U-LEAD welcome" and the team presentations. Both schools, Academia de Costa del Este and Academia de Cerro Viento, made an excellent presentation about Dental Hygiene and Nutrition.

While I was reading, there were like 5 papers missing, when I suddenly found a paper in which my name was written. It was anonymous, and it said that "Leadership is what Gisselle and Ana Isabel had showed us today, they we're very influential for us and someday I want to do the same they did today". That's when I realized that I made an positive influence in their lives.

Last but not least, I’m so happy to say that I'm part of Operation Smile, and I never thought it would change my life. I hope to continue working on it and spread smiles all over the world. The world needs leaders, and that’s what Operation Smile turn people in.

No comments:

Post a Comment